About Women Creating Wealth
Women can create thriving businesses when they are supported to transform their mindset and confidence, strengthen their skills to access market and finance.
We support women businesses to grow because when women have more wealth, they invest to transform the lives of families, communities, and the world.
The Problem We Are Solving
A World Bank research finding is women’s entrepreneurship is growing faster in Africa than anywhere else in the world and yet women’s businesses remain survivalist, micro and small with very little prospect of scaling without targeted interventions.
Understanding the challenges and the untapped growth potential of women’s enterprises, the Graça Machel Trust in partnership with Virgin Unite began the Women Creating Wealth (WCW) Programme. WCW is a Pan African women’s entrepreneurship accelerator programme with goal strengthen the skills and confidence of women entrepreneurs to overcome their challenges and growth barriers and graduate their business from income generation to wealth creation enterprises
WCW objectives are to:
- Identify, inspire, strengthen entrepreneurial skills and confidence of 10000 women across South, East and West Africa in the next 5 years to grow thriving scalable businesses and represent women as businesses leaders and influencers of their industries.
- Increase capacity to access markets & finance
- Connect the entrepreneurs and build a vibrant businesswomen network to drive intra-Africa trade.
To date, 400 high growth entrepreneurs have been selected and successfully graduated from the programme in Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and South Africa.
- WCW worked magic on my confidence, my passion for excellence, persistence and taking calculating risks. I have increased the workforce/labour of the out-grower scheme from 300 to 1,250 registered farmers since I enrolled in the programme a year ago.
- WCW helped us connect with our divine purpose and identify with our true passion. This has been a valuable component of the program that cannot be bought. No money value could be attached to this connection. Connecting with the power within.
- The program has not only benefitted us individually and our business, but its impact has also trickled down to communities as a way of transforming them.
- What makes this program special is that it taught me to work on my business instead of working in the business. It allowed me space to check in with myself first as a driver and helped to look at my business in different views so that I can come up with strategies to grow.
- I have learnt how to control my emotions, understand my business and market better in E-commerce.